Family Migration


A relative of a Permanent Resident or citizen of Australia does not have an automatic entitlement to residence in Australia. Nor does a spouse, a fiancée, a spouse, or a dependent same-sex partner. Rather, the individual wishing to remain in Australia must apply for the relevant visa and must be sponsored by a person who is a Permanent Resident or citizen of Australia.

You may contact us to avail the services of Family Migration, as IMES has listed a few of the most common family migration visas which are as followed by:


Spouse Visa

This is a visa, for the wife or husband of an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident. The process of obtaining the permanent visa generally takes 2 years during which time the spouse is in Australia on a temporary visa. The key requirement is that a committed and exclusive relationship exists with the Australian sponsor.


Prospective Marriage Visa (also known as the Fiancée Visa) 
This visa is available to a person who is overseas who wants to come to Australia to marry a person who also agrees to be their sponsor. When granted the visa is valid for 9 months, during which time the applicant must marry the sponsor and apply for the spouse visa if he or she wishes to remain in Australia.


Aged Dependent Relative Visa 
It is Available for a single, divorced or formally separated aged person who is dependent on a close relative living in Australia. The relative must be at least 18 years old, and an Australian citizen, Permanent Resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen.

The applicant must be old enough to be granted an age pension (65 for men and between 60 and 65 for women, depending on date of birth), and have been dependent on the relative for at least 3 years before the application is submitted.


Remaining Relative Visa
This visa allows an applicant with all other relatives settled in Australia to migrate to live with his or her family. The applicant must be the brother, sister, or child (or step-relative) of an Australian citizen, Permanent Resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen, who must also be more than 18 years old. Where the applicant has a spouse, all the spouse's remaining relatives must also be settled in Australia.